Sunday, April 1, 2012

Chicken Flavored Hunger

  Hello all, Musing Matt here. I have had one hell of a busy week. I've had zero time to even consider a topic for this week. In fact this is the first moment I've had to breathe all week. So, this weekend, instead of a column, I'll share another poem with you. This one is called "Chicken Flavored Hunger." Its my reaction to post-modernism. I have often said that post-modernism ruined my life and I'm pretty sure that it ruined more than that. Its a love-hate relationship that we share. Anyway, I thought of this poem while I was on my break at work and it just flowed out of me.


Chicken Flavored Hunger

I close the microwave
with a hollow click.
My sustenance inside,
flavor packet aside.
Dehydrated noodles
and vegetables.
Make it look healthy.

I pass the recommended five minutes
staring at my shelf
full of movies.
What best compliments
my chicken flavored lunch?
Selection shouldn’t be difficult.
It only takes 5 minutes to eat.

I am pulled into the kitchen
by the loud beep.
Remove cover and empty flavor packet.
Squeeze and re-squeeze the packet.
Get all that flavor out.
Stir and recover.
Let stand for 1 minute.
I’ll go put my movie in.

I sit on my couch.
TV dinner tray before me.
Play movie.
Chicken flavored steam rises.
Its warmth greets my face
but I can’t eat yet.
Pause.
I need a fork.

See you guys next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment